3 Nov 2014

Family in Portland (June)

In early June, my gorgeous sister Sydnee and two of my younger brothers flew out for a visit. Jeremiah and Corban stayed for two weeks, and Syd for almost a month. Our apartment was a bit cramped, but perfectly so. I absolutely loved having them out here, and Oliver did too. Who could not love being doted upon night and day by adoring uncles and aunt?

Oliver and I (and sometimes Bran too) took them all over Portland and surrounding areas. We no longer had a car, so they got very good at taking public transit, and they loved it of course.


My maiden name, for those of you are unaware, is Gay. Hence this picture needed to happen.
We took them to the Rose Gardens, which were in full bloom while they were here, and went to the Portland Zoo the same day. Brandon could never remember ever going to the zoo, so we dragged him away from his studies to come with us.


Geez. Isn't she gorgeous?

Some days we just stayed home and relaxed. On one rainy day we made Totoro sugar cookies with the cookie cutters Bran got me for my birthday. 




There were a couple of places I wanted to take the siblings where public transit just wasn't feasible, so we rented a car a few times over the course of their stay. One of the prettiest places we went was Multnomah Falls.


                      

I brought the stroller with me (which in hindsight wasn't the best idea) so I couldn't really get much further than the bottom of the falls. Syd and the boys wanted to at least go to the bridge (that's them waving in the right corner) but then they decided they wanted to hike all the way up, so Oliver and I waited for them below and took shelter in the little gift shop and restaurant there.


                                                                         

Eventually Caleb flew out so he could get some time with us and help the boys fly back a couple days later (since Syd was going to stay a while longer with us on her own). One day when Caleb was here, we rented a van and drove out to the coast to see the Tillamook Cheese Factory and Cannon Beach. 


Poor Corban, who has never really had a problem with motion sickness before, got sick and threw up in the parking lot just  when we got there (luckily not in the car, but he got it all over his shirt). Syd bought him and herself matching shirts because she is an awewsome sister like that.





Oliver's first experience at the beach was a (somewhat) success. He LOVED playing in the water, but wanted to eat the sand, and when I took him out of the little puddle, he screamed pretty much non-stop for a half an hour, even when I tried putting him back into the water.

Even though I promise I put sunscreen on him, his face still got burnt. I felt SO. BAD, and like a terrible mother. It didn't seem to bother him much, but I made him drink a lot of water and nursed him more often than usual to try and keep him hydrated. We also contacted the doctor, and they said I should bring him in to get him checked out, just in case. So we did, and he was fine. But I immediately went online and bought a sunhat to prevent future sun exposure. 



#nobabysunburnonmywatcheveragain

After the brothers had left, we just had Sydnee for a little while and got her all to ourselves. It was so nice having her around! Oliver adores his Auntie Syd. I adore her too. She is an awesome sister and human being. She is little bubbling ball of warm light - it is impossible to be around her and not smile and feel happy. 


                          

 On one of her last days with us, we rented a car and took a trip to Seaside, and she used her fabulous photography skills to take awesome pictures of us, though not many because her camera was being lame and kept dying. 





                     







We have loved living so close to the coast. I can't wait until we have a car again and we can actually visit it on occasion. It was such a fun month for me and Oliver, and Brandon had a good time too, once his boards exam was over and he was able to take a little break from medical school. Hopefully we'll get another visit from the uncles and aunts soon! My sister Autumn has yet to come out...

2 comments:

  1. Totoro COOKIE CUTTERS?! That is the COOLEST THING OF MY WHOLE LIFE! Where did Brandon get those?! We re-watched that the other night while I gave Mark a haircut and it is my most favorite Miyazaki film ever because it's so happy.

    You guys are so cute! That picture Syd took of the three of you on the beach is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are my favorite. :) Aren't they so cool? I love them. I think he got them on Etsy, but you'd have to ask him.

      Delete



blogger template by lovebird