16 Oct 2014

Arizona in March = Heaven

In March we got the doctor's approval to travel and Oliver and I went to Utah and Arizona for a couple of weeks. 

We stayed with my family for a couple of days, and then drove down to Arizona with
my mom, who had a conference in Phoenix.

We managed to make the drive in one day, though Oliver was very, very done by the time we got to Phoenix. He screamed non-stop for the last half hour or so. Other than that, it was an uneventful and pleasant drive.


I was beyond excited about sunshine and warmth and spending time with family. I've never been to Arizona in March. Summer, Winter and Fall, but never Spring. I loved it. LOVED it. The weather was perfect. 

For the first couple of days, while my mom was at her conference, I stayed with my cousin-in-law/best friend/old roommate, Kate in her cute new apartment. We watched movies and enjoyed the weather, and Oliver had his first experience swimming in a pool.

After a few days, Kate drove me over to my Grandpa's house in Gilbert, and we met up with my mom and Aunt Sarah and her son Will (who's about 6 months older than Oliver). 






Will is also the reason Oliver is so fashionably dressed. Hand-me-downs (and Aunt Sarahs) are some of the best things ever. 

We had a fabulous couple of days with Grandpa, Aunt Sarah and Will in Arizona.






One of my favorite places we went was Liberty Market (a most delightful and awesome repurposed grocery store turned restauraunt/cafe). The best bread pudding I have ever had! If you're ever in Gilbert, check it out.


My mom grew up in Gilbert, and my grandpa has lived in the area his entire life. He's also been pretty instrumental in many of the improvements and developments in the Gilbert area, since he used to be on the city council. I always love taking his tour of the city and seeing where my mom lived, where she went to school, her favorite places and hearing about the history of the area -- how things used to be and how they have changed.





Will and Ollie got on famously.








We celebrated my 26th birthday while we were out there, and Oliver got all decked out in his green finery for his first St. Patrick's Day.


                    



We ate at Joe's Farm Grill (also super delicious and a fun place and I highly recommend it). We ate outside, underneath giant trees.


Though our enjoyment was slightly dampened by the thought of falling scorpions. Word associations are funny things. Fun fact: next to the grill is a barn, which is the same barn my grandparents met each other at a barn dance.

Grandpa took us out to eat later that night at a fun place on Gilbert main called So-Cal Fish Taco Company. Super yummy.
My Aunt Sarah went out of her way and bought me a yummy cake from a fancy place and my favorite flowers (rununculus).


It was a perfect day and I loved spending it with some of the most wonderful people God ever put on this earth. 

We drove back to Utah, this time splitting it into a two day trip and stopping in Cedar City for the night (really we stayed the night so we could eat at Pastry Pub, since it was closed when we got into Cedar). I also got to see my best friend (and old roommate) Melanie and her husband Rob, and their two cute girls.

After we got back to Springville, we stayed a couple more days with my family.


Brandon flew out for his Spring Break, and we visited his family in Spring City for the rest of the week. Our flight back to Portland was ridiculously early in the morning, so we stayed in Salt Lake at Brandon's grandparent's house for a night. We loved seeing them!

                 

Ollie is quite the little traveler. He's actually pretty good on flights. 

                      

 I was kind of sad to head back to Portland, but excited to no longer be living out of a suitcase. It was an awesome trip, and I hope I can go back to Arizona in March again sometime soon. Maybe I'll make it a tradition.



1 comment:

  1. Oh Yes! Let's! (Make Arizona in March a tradition)

    ReplyDelete



blogger template by lovebird